The Physical Therapy Board of California (PTBC) regulates all PTA license applicants through their website. Like other states, you must first graduate from an accredited PTA program before applying for your PTA license in California. Make sure you meet all the eligibility requirements before applying or else you will not be refunded your application fees.
More PTA Info for California:
Learn how to become a physical therapist assistant in 7 steps completing all education and licensing requirements.
Steps to Become a PTA in California
- Graduate from an accredited PTA program
- Obtain a P1E form which is a certificate of completion from your PTA program and keep it in its sealed envelope
- CA residents must obtain Live Scan Finger Print Processing and submit their results to the PTBC (Out of state residents see fingerprinting instructions here)
- Apply for your CA PTA license and submit your P1E form ($125 application fee + $49 for non CA residents fingerprinting see fees)
- Take and pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE) ($425.60 exam fee see exam registration info)
- Take and pass the California Law Examination (CLE) a one hour multiple choice exam ($50 exam fee)
- Expect your exam scores within 30 days and then your PTA license to be processed and mailed within 45 days of the exam scores being published
California PTA License Application
For detailed information and instructions to become a PTA in California, see the board’s Application form. To download the form, right click the icon to the right and then click on “Save As” to save the PDF file.
TESTING ACCOMMODATIONS: View the disability accommodations form if you have testing disabilities and need special accommodations.
Obtaining your CA PTA license by exam is the most common method of becoming a licensed PTA in California. It is important to prepare for the exam sufficiently because you can only take the exam 3 times during a 12 month period.
California PTA Study Guides for NPTE and CLE Exams
- National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE) Information and Study Guide
- California Law Examination (CLE) Information and Study Guide
Physical Therapy Board of California Contact Info
Physical Therapy Board of California
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1350
Sacramento, CA 95815
Telephone: (916) 561-8200
Fax: (916) 263-2560
Hearing-impaired persons may call TDD (800) 326-2297
Why Be a PTA in California?
Aside from California being one of the most beautiful states in the U.S. there are many reasons you may want to pursue your PTA career in CA.
- If you are still looking for an accredited PTA Program then there are many great California PTA schools for you to choose from.
- California is one of the highest paying states when it comes to PTA salaries, checkout average PTA salaries in California.
- There are also a lot of different industries that are hiring PTAs in this state from athletic clinics to nursing homes, checkout PTA Jobs in California.