The Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners regulates the licensing of Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants in Texas. The licensing section will handle all applicants for registration. Applicant fees are non-refundable so it is important that you make sure you meet all the requirements before applying.
More PTA Info for Texas:
Learn how to become a physical therapist assistant in 7 steps completing all education and licensing requirements.
Steps to Becoming a PTA in Texas
- Apply online for your TX PTA license and pay the application fee of $125 (see all TX PTA Board fees)
- Contact the registrar from your school and have them send an official transcript directly to the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners
- Mail a recent, 2 in. x 2 in. passport-type photo to the Board
- Request that your Program Director mail a Letter of Completion letter to the Board
- Register to take the national exam with FSBPT
- Take the online open book jurisprudence exam
- Once the above steps are complete, you may schedule your exam date with the FSBPT (this can only be done once all above items have been received by the Board)
- Take the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE) administered by the FSBPT (upon passing your license will automatically be mailed to you)
Texas PTA License Application
To start the online application process now, just click the icon to the right. For complete instructions and steps on applying for your PTA license in TX visit this page on the Board’s website. Also, Texas offers a temporary PTA license.
TESTING ACCOMMODATIONS: If you have special needs for testing accommodations, please see the testing accommodations form.
The primary way to obtain a PTA license in Texas is to apply by exam. The Texas PTA exam is administered on specific predetermined dates, so make sure to plan accordingly. The Texas Board of Physical Therapy examiners offers a Licensure Steps and Timelines Tool to help you organize and plan everything needed to obtain your Texas PTA license.
Important Phone Numbers for Texas PTAs
PT Board – (512) 305-6900
FSBPT – (888) 461-6905
Prometric Testing Center – (800) 796-9857
Why Be a PTA in Texas?
- The average PTA salary in Texas is the highest average PTA salary in the U.S. So, if you are looking to get paid well in your profession, then being a PTA in Texas is your best bet.
- Also, there are many great PTA schools in Texas if you still need to complete your degree.
- PTA salaries are not the only thing high in Texas, there are plenty of great PTA jobs in Texas in a variety of industries and locations.