Today we have a guest author, Keller Tiemann from Volume SEO, to discuss some of his biggest physical therapy marketing ideas. He has invaluable experience managing internet marketing for physical therapy clinics and he has graciously agreed to share it with our audience! So, please welcome Keller and don’t forget your pen and paper to take notes! 🙂
Are you a physical therapist assistant looking for ways to assist your PT and help grow the clinic? Well, taking some time to learn about marketing for physical therapy clinics is a great way to help save your boss’ time and also to grow y’alls clinic.
There are a number of components necessary to successfully market your physical therapy clinic. Most of them exist online because the vast majority of modern marketing IS internet marketing. Today I am going to share some basic but important marketing ideas for physical therapy clinics.
First let’s clearly define some different marketing channels and the specific ones we will focus on.
“Old School” Marketing Channels include:
- Direct mail
- Newspaper ads
- phone books
- call campaigns
- door to door
The internet offers the new medium for marketing your physical therapy clinic to potential and existing clients.
“Modern” Internet Marketing Channels include:
- Social Media
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization, (think Google & other search engines)
- Your Website/Blog
- Email Marketing
Let’s break down internet marketing by each channel and go over some important physical therapy marketing strategies.
1 – Social Media Marketing for Physical Therapy
Leveraging Social media for physical therapists marketing campaigns is an effective modern marketing strategy. This is an important component to your overall marketing strategy, because social media websites offer such a large audience to market towards. When you properly utilize social media websites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google + you can drive targeted traffic to your website or business storefront and receive new customers.
There are some things to keep in mind when using social media for physical therapy clinics. Here are a few key tips on social media marketing for physical therapy:
- The objective with social media is simply to stay top of mind with your existing clients so that you are a natural reference when the opportunity arises for them to refer someone to a physical therapist. Yes.. it is really that simple. If you try to start selling on social media, you’re going down the wrong path.
- Just being present on social media is good, but if you aren’t active you don’t look like you’re in business. Try to post updates at least once per week.
- Don’t just use one social media site, create accounts on all of the major ones. Create a Facebook Business Page, a Twitter Account, a Company LinkedIn Page, and a Google Plus Business Page. Trust me, it will be worth it. Each one has its advantages, but all of them together will create brand awareness, drive traffic to your website, and connect your clinic with new patients.
If you take the time to implement social media marketing for your physical therapy clinic you will start to receive more referral business from your existing client base.
2 – SEO for Physical Therapy
Another huge source of web traffic comes from Search Engines. SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and it involves optimizing your website and web presence so that your website gains visibility in search engine’s search results. Successfully implementing SEO for your physical therapy clinic means that consumers searching for physical therapy clinics in their area will find you. You could also reach a national or even international audience with SEO techniques as well.
Here are a few of the primary SEO techniques you need to keep in mind.
- Remember how I recommended you create that Google Plus Business Page? Well, go create it. And make sure you get your business information completed and accurate, specifically your Business Name, Address, and Phone Number. Also, ask your clients to leave you reviews on your Google + Page.
- Add some content to your website about the different types of therapy you offer and about your facilities. What makes your clinic unique and special? You will want to create page titles for these pages of content you create. In the titles you will want to place keywords that your target client would search. Here is an example for a physical therapist in Houston: “sports therapy in Houston” So, this PT in Houston would create a webpage with the title “Best Sports Therapy in Houston” and write content about his/her sports therapy program at their clinic.
- Make sure each of your social media profiles links to your website.
- Create a Yelp page and ask your clients to leave you reviews on Yelp. Reviews help build trust and authority with search engines and they will pay off in search engine visibility.
- Add your physical address to every page of your website, the footer is a good location.
If you take the time to implement these physical therapy SEO strategies, then you should start to get more traffic and customers from Google and other search engines.
3 – Physical Therapy Email Marketing
As a physical therapist running a clinic you have enough on your plate. So you may be asking, do I really need to add email marketing to my marketing plan? Well, the answer is hands down, yes. Email marketing produces the highest ROI when it comes to marketing spend followed by dollars spent on search (SEO).
There are tons of different tools out there that are cheap and easy to use so that you can make email marketing for your physical therapy clinic cheap and painless. Heck you can even get started for free with mail chimp. Sending monthly newsletters and e-cards around the holidays and on birthdays builds brand awareness and trust with your past clients. These emails keep you top of mind with your satisfied clients generating referral business for your clinic. When someone they know is in need of PT they automatically think of you and refer them over.
4 – Physical Therapy Websites
Your physical therapy clinic’s website is the main hub of all of your physical therapy clinic’s internet marketing efforts. If you look at physical therapy website designs they may range from outdated and ugly to quite modern and sleek. Look at some of your competitor’s websites to get an idea. Where does yours fall on the spectrum? This could be a good starting question to ask about your website to determine if you may have some specific opportunities to optimize or improve your website.
Here are a few marketing optimizations you will want to implement on your physical therapy websites if you haven’t already:
- Clearly place your phone number on each page of your website, usually in the header or footer is a good visible location.
- Install Google Analytics. It is free! And it offers a ton of valuable data about your website’s analytics that will help with your marketing. For now, just install it. 6 weeks or 6 months from now, revisit it and you can start to use the data you have collected to further optimize your website with more advanced marketing tactics than we will discuss today. Perhaps the PTA Guide will invite me back to write a more extensive follow-up post 🙂
- Start blogging. Once per month write a blog post sharing some valuable information for your audience. Be consultative and authoritative, talk about exercises to relieve back pain, or exercises to do at home. Get creative. Consistently blogging once per month will really help build trust with your audience and can also help generate website traffic and new clients.
What marketing strategies have you tried for your physical therapy clinic? Tell us in the comments below! 🙂